Bipolars are people, too!
A picket sign carried at the 1964 Berkloey riots stated, "I am a person. Do not bend, fold, or mutilate." As penned in a recent manuscript, when a child a born, the first thoughts aren't, "Goody, goody, I'm bipolar." For many, it is years before there is even a thought that something might be wrong because of automatically dealing with the illness daily. Friends and relatives are the ones who notice devient behaviors, depression, and suicidal tendencies but hesitate to call attention to their observations. Only recently has the bipolar diagnosis received more positive publicity as scientists publish more conclusions. Others must understand that this is an inherited illness, certainly not one chosen. There are now three genes associated with the malady. Of course identification doesn't accomplish much more than identify what can't be cured. On the other hand, if parents are aware of their individual genetic history, the child can be diagnosed long before adulthood. My daughter was in her mid 30's before the doctor scrawled the name of this illness across the chart. One can only imagine the pain and guilt a mother experiences when a child is suddenly led out of a personal darkness to face life with a totally different thinking process. Thoughts suddenly become a whirlwind of confusion and denial. After some time, acceptance seeps in when medication begins to clear the fog experienced for years, and research on top of research promises that survival is a certainty. The medical world is going foward in this field. Treatment regimens include traditional and alternative avenues. Herbals and aromatherapy essences are chosen by many as stablizers and mood enhancers and with positive results.
The continuation of this blog depends on you, the reader. I appreciate all of your comments thus far. It has been successful beyond expectations. I hope it continues to be beneficial to those with bipolar or others who wish to better understand the illness. Please add your thoughts or concerns. Then, bookmark and return for discussion if specific queries gave been made, or just drop by for a catch-up visit. Philosopher Enneads' quote is indeed true. "All things are full of signs, and it is a wise man who can learn about one thing from another."
20 comments:
This is going to be an incredible blog. I can't wait 'til you get this thing going! I have thought for a long time that my mother is bipolar, but after many requests, she still will not go to the doctor. She is very defiant, and codependant. It has almost ruined our relationship. I also have a very close friend that has recently been diagnosed and I am really looking forward to more information on how to cope with this disease and how to be a great friend/family member for support! This blog is going to be a great blessing to me! Thanks so much! God Bless You!
Bless you for your dedication. I believe many will gain knowledge and hopefully help from this resourse.
Thank you for your encouragement! There is strength in the belief that you can be a candle in this darkness. To learn more about how physicians diagnose bipolar, their questionnaire is http://www.concernedcounseling.com/communities/bipolar/bipolar_test.asp or just search engine bipolar questionnaire. Family/friend support is golden to encourage ones with this illness to go forward. Practical info is offered at http://www.bipolarhelpcenter.com/living/talkingFamily.jsp. If the addresses have changed, just put in key words such as bipolar family help. Bipolarhelpcenter.com has a great deal of encouragement for those with the illness and the family. Dedication is so important!!! Warm wishes. Come back often
The world is an amazing place, with new discoveries daily. The internet has been a tool that I use often for different medical resources. It is alway traggic when you have a new medical term thrown at you regarding a family or loved one. I look forward to seeing how others deal with bipolar personalities in their homes. I would love to chat about concerns others have, and how I can better cope with this illness, in my home.
Thanks for a wonderful site.
It is also amazing how many are suffering in emotional pain without anyone to talk to. That is why there are sites like this to vent. I hope it continues. God Bless.
What is the most effective way to treat bipolar?
Bipolar treatment is complicated only if one fights the illness and refuses to accept the diagnosis.It must be overseen by a qualified physician who is well read about the illness.Psychiatrists are urged by most because of related successful therapy to deal with bipolar. A treatment plan is set up according to the type of bipolar diagnosed (there are several)to include proper medication, chart your moods and daily activities, and be certain the patient has support from family and friends. Self-medication is a common occurence in bipolars which leads to unstable highs and lows with negative results. A physicial prescribes medications that work together. Patience is the main prescription! It takes time for meds to take effect and often must be changed according to patient's progress or lack of. Foremost, locate a qualified physician. Family doctors usually aren't. Valuable information is available at http://patientlinx.com. Click on Mental Health/Bipolar Disorder. Research and understanding are paramont. You will learn that you are not alone and are loved in spite of imperfections!
Should you ask a person with bipolar disorder how their therapy is going, or ask them about thier meds, how is the best way to be supportive in this situation?
First, I believe one must be aware of how long it has been since the diagnosis. After almost a year, my daughter still is not too open to discussion to me nor her best friend. This is part of denial because bipolar is labeled as a mental illness. It also depends on your relationship with that person. Tact is important when questioning because so much negative has already been thrust upon him/her. You can always use the old standby, "I have a friend or my mother or whoever has a friend who is taking Depakote for his/her bipolar. What has been prescribed for you?" I would hesitate to ask if the meds are working, because that person might not really know at that point. Usually, an explanation will follow your question. The same question can be framed for therapy sessions or just daily dealing with the illness. It will be obvious in a quick minute if the topic is up for discussion. Many want to talk about it; many do not. Just feel out the situation before it becomes an intrusion. There are five recovery steps and explanations of each on http://www.dbsalliance.org/side/recoverysteps. Briefly, they are handling the impact of the illness, feeling like life is limited...never to be the same, realizing and believing change is possible, commitment to change, and,ultimately, actions to move beyond the disabling power of the illness. Dr. Ronald Fieve's book BIPOLAR II, Rodale, 2006, indicates that simply using words of encouragement go a long way. Examples are "You're not alone in this. I'm here for you." "All things change. So will you." "You can hold on just one more day, hour, minute." "Take my hand." It is not a short road to normalcy. How blessed a person should feel to have one such as you to care for other's feelings and how to approach such a touchy subject. Thank you for your question.
TO ALL VISITORS. A request has been made to Google to replace the ads just posted on my site. I apologize if any were unset with the topics. I had no choice in the selections. Hopefully, they have been replaced before you even notice. We need positive thoughts!
How can I go about getting a doctor to recognize my family members possible diagnosis of bipolar? I know they will not bring this up to the doctor, and I do not go with them for doctor visits.
My first question has to be what are your clues? Next, what is the family history? Are there obvious signs or a diagnosis of bipolar or other mental illness in the ancestry? Bipolar is hereditary from all research accounts. There are at least three genes contributing to the condition. I can trace it back to my maternal uncle and my sister. My mother died very young, so I have no idea if it was part of her genetic makeup. One means of getting family members to cooperate is to just blazenly hand them a Mood Questionnaire the doctors use to determine the possibility of such. It can be printed off the internet. Put Mood Questionnaire in the search engine or go to http://www.concernedcounseling.com/communities/bipolar/bipolar_test.asp which also includes symptoms to look for. A major list of symptoms can be found on http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/bipolar.cfm. Just listing the topic is sometimes easier than trying to type in the address. I'm really at a loss about talking to the doctor because of confidentiality, but if he is a long time family doctor, as my daughter's is, you could pass on a hint that there could be a problem. The medications family members are taking sometimes earmark the illness if they include uppers and lowers. If there is substance abuse or excessive alcohol use with deep depression periods or temper flares, that is another red flag. If the doctor could get word, study charts,and if qualified (which is very important) make a determination, things would move forward one way or the other. However, my daughter had the same doctor for ten years before he presented her with the same questionnaire above. Five of 12 yes answers meant a possibly. She marked 11 and was on disability the next working day. But back to your original thought.If you feel that is in a crisis stage, definitely call the doctor. There are ways that the subject can be brought up that no family member would know the hint came from you. I feel your pain. Had my daughter and I not been so close, I am confident that she would not be here today. After going through this with her, I would tell any parent to do whatever is necessary to have peace of mind and know that your children are being cared for. I'm carrying much guilt because I didn't see the all telling signs sooner. You will be in my thoughts. Bookmark my page so you can return and give an update or pose any further areas of concern. We'll find the answer somehow.
A FAVORITE POEM OF MINE YOU MIGHT WISH TO COPY AND PASTE. WORDS FOR ANYONE WITH WORRIES TO LIVE BY.
“INVICTUS”
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond the place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.
William Ernest Henley
Great info this will be very helpful to people in getting help or just helpful information!!
I have a family member that is bipolar. WOW! Talk about the mood swings. We all duck for cover. The good thing is the medicine makes them sleep alot.
Been there! It took a few months before my daughter's medication took affect to settle things down. The imbalance in brain chemicals plays a huge role. It could be that the medication isn't doing its job, if on meds. Sleeping too much is overdosing. It should level out or the doctor should be consulted. Just think...there are 22 million Americans with mood disorders. That's a lot of households dealing with this. Further info for those interested in bipolar mood swings, visit: http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/mood-swings. Thank you for stopping by and reminding us all that we are not in this alone.
What is the best way to be supportive (deal) with someone who has not been diagnosed, but we have always beleived she is bipolar? She also threatens suicide? What can we do without being pushed so far away? She has had the habit of doing this during manic episodes! By the way thanks for all of the useful information, it helps to know that we are not alone!!
Dear new friend...one of the most difficult things to accomplish is to convince others that they could be one of the millions effected by this illness. Most often they don't even realize it themselves. It's called "anosognosia" and worth an online search for understanding reactions to possibilities. First of all, is there any genetic history of mental problems or other symptoms you are noticing? Since bipolar is inherited in over 70% of cases reported, that is the first place to research. If there are familial indications, it is most likely a sure bet that it has been carried forward. However, with any non-inherited chemical imbalance progressing through a lifetime, bipolar can result. Being pushed away is a defensive move by the ill one. My daughter still evades discussion, but she knows she will face the inevitable negative consequences if she doesn't stay on her medication. If suicide is mentioned during manic episodes, one can be certain it is thought about during low periods and should be taken seriously. Whether she appreciates intervention or not, it is important that an evaluation be made by a qualified physician. It might be up to you to see that it's done. We sometimes become God's miracles for others. Definite symptoms of bipolar can be found at http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/bipolar.cfm. Questionnaires are valuable tools, and you or another close to her can complete them by observations, if she refuses. If results confirm your suspicions, confrontation is the only way to help. It is then up to her. But a family physician can be alerted for such a crisis possibility. One questionnaire used by physicians is http://www.bipolarhelpcenter.com/resources/mdq.jsp and look for Mood Disorder Questionnaire. Another just found and will be discussed in a later post (as seen on TV)is http://www.YourTimeForChange.com, typed just as given, and locate the Depression Symptoms Checklist. Of course, if there are manic episodes, biopolar is usually the answer. Both of these questionnaires, as well as others, are evaluated online and results can be printed for the doctor. It is a long road!! Acceptance of one's personal imperfections is the most difficult. Others who hesitate to bring it to the forefront are only putting off what will ultimately occur. The longer the time span, the worse the end result. God Bless you for your concern and best of luck in seeing this through. Strength to conquer is there!! Keep us up to date.
If someone is diagnosed as bipolar what is the chance that thier son or daughter may be bipolar too? Thanks so much for your help! God Bless You!
I apologize for the delay. Often times life steps in and gets in the way of other paths. I'll answer your question in two ways. First, personally. I really never thought of myself as bipolar until I began this research after my daughter was diagnosed. I am now certain that I am, although more unipolar which is depression rather than manic. My son, daughter, sister, and uncle have/had the illness, with my sister's episodes resulting in suicide. My mother died very young, and there is no way of knowing...but most likely. So, that is the personal experience side. Not pretty because of lack of medical knowledge at the time. Clincally, one reference states that family studies show that siblings of a person with bipolar have a 12% chance of being bipolar themselves. If twins,and one is diagnosed, then there is a 100% chance the other is also. The National Institute of Mental Health says that more than 2/3's of people with bipolar disorder have at least one close relative with the illness or with clinical depression. According to statistics, there are 10 million adults and at least 750,00 children and teens in America who are bipolar. Unbelieveable, but true. Often, they are misdiagnosed as ADHD or other disorders. The difference to note between depression and bipolar is lows only associated with periodical depression, and highs (manic) and lows with bipolar the majority of time. For more info plus symptoms to watch for go to NAMI at http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/Helpline1/Bipolar_Disorder.htm (use caps as I did). It's really a hit or miss with genes if only one parent has it. Evidently, it was mostly hit on my mother's side. Mainly, study the symptoms on NAMI or other sites for indications. Also, a Mood Questionnaire is available used by physicians at http://www.bipolarhelpcenter.com/resources/mdq.jsp. After answering the questions, it will be evaluated for you online. A copy can be printed to present to the physician if indications are there. A self diagnosis is never advisable. I probably missed my own because of caring for others. I appreciate your visit. This is so close to my heart since it has caused great stress and anguish in my family due to my children not being diagnosed until after their mid-30's. It's not too late for them, but there is a great deal of making up to do for what this incurable disorder has taken from them. God Bless You, also! Please keep in touch with any update.
Post a Comment